February 2019 Disney announced plans to turn the form Festival center in Future world into the “Play Pavilion”. Disney described this addition as:
This new space will be devoted to playful fun and feature an innovative city that’ll come to life under the dome of the un-named pavilion previously known as Wonders of Life. The pavilion’s city will be bursting with interactive experiences, your favorite Disney characters, hands-on activities and engaging entertainment when it opens just in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort!
Per Zach Riddley, portfolio executive, Walt Disney Imagineering:
“This innovative, new pavilion is beyond anything we’ve ever created and is completely unique to Epcot. Built on the power of play, it introduces an immersive and interactive ‘city’ where you can explore, create, and interact with some of your favorite Disney characters. This is an experience worthy of our bold vision for Epcot – and another signature element of our transformation.”
In Disney’s initial announcement in February did not go in to detailed information on what would me under the dome of Future World. Here is what we know:
- Animation Academy Guests will once again be able to learn how to draw Disney characters in this relocated offering that was once housed at The Magic of Disney Animation at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Nick and Judy from Zootopia will host an interactive game called “Hotel Heist”.
- Character meet and greets for Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope, Joy and Sadness, and Baymax should find permanent homes here.
- Adjacent to the Wreck-It Ralph meet and greet, guests will find an arcade, as well as a play area for toddlers.
- As seen in the concept art above, live performers will take to the stage in the very center of the pavilion.